Saturday, October 25, 2014

2014 Holiday Day 6 - Disney's Typhoon Lagoon & EPCOT

It was a quieter morning that the previous days as the water parks at Disney don't open until 10am. Also, it wasn't forecast to be very warm in the morning - but would get to 78 by midday. So we ate a leisurely breakfast and whilst I was packing up the things for the day, Clare and Matthew went for a walk to the pond that is outside out patio area.

We first headed up to Premium Outlets Orlando to go to the bug Gap store there to pick up some clothes. I always pack light and then buy a few things I need to replace in the States as it is way cheaper - especially in the outlet stores. We then headed to Publix supermarket at the end of Vineland Avenue to get a few essentials we were low on. At the start of the holiday, we have groceries delivered to our hotel by Garden Grocer, but we were low on a few of the breakfast basics. We don't tend to have breakfast out, unless it's for a character meet and greet, we tend to eat in our villa before heading out...

Anyway, it was then back to the hotel to drop everything off, pick up our swimming gear and head for Typhoon Lagoon. We had always been to Blizzard Beach previously, so Matthew wanted to try the other water park. We got there about 11:30 and it was fairly busy - but felt quite warm in the sunshine - so that was good. We started by going to the huge pool in the middle of the park (the Surf Pool) which every so often sends out HUGE waves. And I mean these things must be 10 foot tall at their origin! After watching a couple go by we entered into the pool and were amazed at the force they hit you with. We weren't far from the shore, but it was enough to knock Clare and Matthew off their feet! Unfortunately, I had got water in my ear so I headed back to shore to try and shift it. It was then I noticed a familiar tightness around my right wrist was missing.... The force of the water was so great it must have knocked my Magic Band right off!

I told Clare and Matthew to go and enjoy some of the slides whilst I simultaneously tried to shift the water from my ear (which was getting painful) and look for my Magic Band. After about 10 minutes I gave up on both activities, and decided to head for Guest Services to report the loss. This is where Disney customer service really kicks in... I figured I would need to buy a new one, but the nice lady first told me to not worry as my details were all safe as they are protected by a fingerprint and a PIN (I knew this, but figured it was standard practice to remind panicing guests!) She then asked me to check back at the end of our visit to see if it got handed in - if it hadn't my resort would replace it for free! I wasn't hugely worried about the loss, but it was nice the staff were focused more on me and my holiday experience rather than their bit of technology I had "misplaced". I hadn't been back at the 'camp' we had made from sun loungers when Clare and Matthew arrived back saying they'd had a good time on the slides.

We decided to then hit the Castaway Creek Lazy River. We grabbed our rings and headed for a slow poottle around the circular river. However, this is where it was designed for the Florida heat of the summer, not cool of the autumn as it was chilly down there. There's also water guns where kids get to soak you as you float round. After a couple of soakings, we were quite cold, so got out to find our towels and dry off.

It was about 1:30pm, so we headed for Leaning Palms to get some food. It was the standard hot dogs, burgers and chicken nuggets that are usually on offer in the water parks (you don't go there for l'eaut cuisine!). We went for a couple of chicken nuggets meals, but had to wait AGES for the food to arrive. Not like Disney to be so long in getting the food to you, but once we had it there were not complaints as it was cooked well and was hot and tasty. We shared the two portions between the three of us and there was plenty. Matthew had a choc chip cookie, which he declared to be delicious, and Clare and I shared a so-so Key Lime Pie.

We then packed up our things, got changed and headed back to Guest Services where my Magic Band hadn't turned up. We drove back to the hotel, and the Front Desk replaced the Magic Band as promised. This one actually fitted much better than the previous one - the strap is much more secure.

We had a rest in the room before heading back out to EPCOT. We had booked Fast Passes for Test Track at night as we wanted to see if it was different under the lights. First of all, we queued for a short time to get on the perennial Brewer favourite Spaceship Earth.

We then headed down to the Port Of Entry area of World Showcase to grab some more 'snacks' from the Food & Wine festival stalls.

We started in Canada, where we had a delicious fillet mignon steak with mushrooms (mine was almost the size of a regular steak I'd say!). Then it was a short walk to Scotland (I know that sounds weird, but that's EPCOT!) where Clare went for the vegetarian haggis and I had the potato cake with smoked salmon. Both were declared to be delicious. Last, but not least, we went to the Desserts & Champagne stall where Clare had the "Trio" of Passion Fruit Creamsicle, Blueberry Lime cheescake roll and chocolate espresso opera cake. We both sampled all three and declared the passion fruit the winner! I got some Guylian Belgian chocolate seashell truffles that Matthew and I shared (if you are wondering what Matthew ate, he'd already had a sandwich and crisps before we came out).

Clare decided she wanted a beer to wash it all down (I couldn't, I was driving) so we went to the Craft Beers pavillion where she had a Magic Hat Dream Machine IPL. She declared it most agreeable! Matthew wanted to go to Club Cool as he hadn't tried all the drinks from around the world - which he now has!

We had a Fast Pass for the character meet and greet, so went to meet Mickey, Pluto and Minnie before heading over to Test Track. It was definitely worth doing at night. You don't get blinded by the sun as you come out in the test car and EPCOT lit up looks amazing.

As we left, I took a picture of Spaceship Earth all lit up...

No comments:

Post a Comment