Thursday, October 23, 2014

2014 Holiday Day 5 - Disney's EPCOT

Last night I was literally asleep when my head hit the pillow. I didn't even manage to pull the covers over me so when I woke up my covers were still down near my feet! I think it's fair to say that I slept pretty well, as did everyone else!

After breakfast in the villa (Pilsbury Toaster Pastries are SO nice) it was into the car and the short journey over to EPCOT. We got there with plenty of time to spare before rope drop, so we planned our strategy. We already had a Fast Pass for Test Track so we didn't need to run for that one when the gates were opened.

However, Matthew wanted to ride it twice so we agreed that him and Clare would run for it whilst I attempted to keep up. However, once through the gates, it was obvious my lack of fitness was never going to allow me to keep up with those two so I let them run on ahead, knowing I'd get to ride it later with the Fast Pass. Whilst they were doing that I walked round the edge of the Tomorrow Land section. It was very quiet as there were only a few people about so I took some photos and explored some walkways I hadn't been down before. I debated going to the Food & Wine Festival Center, but decided I'd better wait near the ride exit. I'd picked up the Food & Wine information sheet so I read that and planned what to have for lunch. (For those unfamiliar with Disney stuff, the Food & Wine festival happens every Fall at EPCOT and there are over 30 stalls serving food and drink from around the world. It's not to be missed!).

Clare and Matthew appeared soon and we decided to use the Fast a pass to ride Test Track again all together. We designed our concept cars and rode the ride and it was as good as always.

It was no about 10am so we decided to go to the Festival Center to get our a Food & Wine Festival passports. As you buy food and drink from the kiosks they give you a stamp in your passport, so you can keep track of what you have eaten and where. Clare and I like it - must be the collectors in us!

It was time for the Mission: Space ride, just next door to the Center and another thing we had a Fast Pass for. Whilst the standby line for Test Track was 30 minutes, it was only 5 minutes for Mission: Space - but you just don't know the wait times when you book the Fast Passes... Oh well... Anyway, we opted for the Green version of the ride, rather than the Orange. Disney park fans will understand that this is the wossy version of the ride, basically you don't get spun around to simulate the G-force of a space rocket take off. People are physically sick on that ride, and as I don't really like thrill ride, the non-spinning version was what I wanted to do. Clare did the spinning version on our last visit and she loved it.

Anyway, we went through the safety briefing, were assigned our positions on the space craft and off into space we went. What did I think of it? Well, let's just say I wouldn't do it again. Even without the spinning I was feeling a little nauseous. I'm such a wimp! Whilst I breathed the fresh, Florida air, Matthew decided he wanted to go again. So him and Clare went back on to do different jobs on the spacecraft whilst I just say in to the shade and people-watched. I'm a nosy beggar, so it's fun to watch people and how they do their Disney holidays. I can't recommend having a plan enough - you really do need to know what you are doing and when otherwise you end up queuing and doing very little...

Matthew really liked the Disney conservation badge he picked up from Animal Kingdom and now we knew there were more to collect he was keen to find some different designs. So we went to The Seas shop and found the badge in blue. He made his donation and pinned it on his T-Shirt. We then went to The Land shop, but it was the same colour as the Animal Kingdom one so he didn't bother with it.

We went to Club Cool to try some of the Coca Cola drinks from around the world and look round the gift shop. We tried beverages from South Africa, Zimbabwe and other countries. Matthew rather liked the Zimbabwe one - a raspberry drink - so much so he seemed to have red stains round his chops for the rest of the day!

We then headed out to World Showcase where Clare and I started to eat our way round the Food & Wine Festival. We started at the New Zealand stand where Clare had the venison sausage and I went for the lamb meatballs with tomato chutney. Both dishes were delicious. Clare then went to Australia where she had the pork chop - again - delicious...

We then went up to Mexico where Matthew want to ride The Three Caballeros which featured his favourite character - Donald Duck. It's a gentle boat ride where the other two band members are searching Mexico to find Donald.. It's also nice and cool in the Mexico pavilion as it was starting to warm up outsdie. Another sunny day with a clear blue sky. We then went to do a meet and greet with Mexican Donald. He was running late, so we waited as it was cool and in the shade and we weren't in a hurry. He turned up at 12:30, and Matthew was thrilled - so it was all good!

We then headed up to Germany where Matthew and I went for the sausage in a pretzel roll. We both enjoyed them.

I was tempted with a lot of the German dishes, but was starting to get full! Clare then went to Italy for a portion of ravioli. Bear in mind these dishes are supposed to be 'snacks' this thing was the size of a UK microwave meal! She was enjoying it, so she ate it all, but decided she was out of the game. No more food for her!

Matthew and I headed to the Tangerine Cafe in Morocco to have a sit down and eat quick service meal. I had a bit of falafel wrap and we shared a Coke whilst Clare wandered round Japan and went round the shop there. Green Tea Kit Kat anyone? Might have to try that sometime...

I just about had room for a pudding, so visited Belgium for a waffle with berry compote. The waffle was a bit hard, but tasted alright. Clare decided on a beer and went for a Hoegarden, which she liked. Last stop was Canada, where Matthew went to the gift stall to buy a bag of crisps that he has had from here before.

We had a Fast Pass for Spaceship Earth, a Brewer family fave, so we headed across the park to settle into our time travel pod to explore the past, present and future of planet Earth (narrated by Dame Judy Dench!). As Matthew says, it wouldn't be Disney without Spaceship Earth!

We had a little energy left, so we decided to go and do the Figment ride Journey Into Imagination. As Clare says, it's not as good as it used to be, and truth be told, it's a bit lame, but we like it. It has a cheerful song going on with it - even if some of the effects and models are a bit rubbish compared to more modern rides. In the gift shop, Clare was pleased to find the Figment comics we'd been looking for in the UK. Not number 1, though, although the lady at the till gave her a card to get a digital version for free - so it wasn't too bad.

We stopped by The Art of Disney shop - which has wonderful original art from Disney artists. There is an artist in there who will take commissions and we got chatting to him as he was drawing Anna and Elsa from Frozen. There are some amazing pieces in the shop, ranging from pencil sketches to large oil paintings. Well worth a visit.

It was 3pm and we were feeling the pace, so we headed back to the car and hit the Springs pool for a bit. We then ate at the Artist's Palette quick service restaurant (the food is OK - not great - but OK). We then roasted Marshmallows around the campfire, then headed back for Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. After a bit of Thursday Night Football, it was lights out to be ready for tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment